Summer Boating Season is HERE in full swing on the Crystal Coast in a BIG WAY! We have had record breaking temps and beautiful boating days for so much of the year so far. Hopefully you have had time to “work out the kinks” in your boating routine. Just want to go over a few safety tips and reminders.
A few things you should have in your boating safety “arsenal” are-
- Life Jackets – it is not just a safety measure – IT IS THE LAW! Anyone under the age of 13 are required to wear a life jacket while the vessel is underway. All are required if they are being towed or on a personal watercraft. For more info on life jacket requirements - http://www.ncwildlife.org/Boating/LawsSafety/ChildrenMustWearPFDs.aspx
- Flare kit – and PLEASE – just because it is the 4th of July is not reason to set off your flares! DON’T DO IT! The Coast Guard does not like it and there are fines involved if you get caught.
- First aid kit. Doesn’t have to be too extravagant but it sure is helpful to have a Band-Aid and cut treatment when you need it. Oyster shells, fish fins, and just about anything in the ocean can cause a cut to get infected before you get back to the dock!
- Tool Box – you only need a small tool box if you have a small boat. The bigger the boat – the more tools you will need. I manage with a set of screwdrivers and ratchet set but if you have a boat of any size you also have the room to take more tools. And make sure to add a wood plug or two (and a hammer)! Once you wish you had, it will be too late!!!!
- And OF COURSE a Membership with TowBoatUS. There is nothing like knowing you will NOT be stranded on the water! For only $158.00 per year you and your family members are covered on any recreational boat you own, borrow or happen to rent for the day. This Unlimited package covers you for any amount of per-incident towing (that means you don’t have to pay if you need to get towed again the next day!), soft groundings, and fuel delivery and jump starts while out on the water! For an additional $14 per year you can add the Trailer Assist package which covers your boat trailer and tow vehicle for road-side service! Call for more details, to sign-up or check your coverage and expiration. 252-728-5088 ext. 0 (24/7/365)
And one more COOL way to celebrate the 4th – Get your free I “LOVE” BOATING decal today from BoatUS! Click on the pic for more details on how to get your decal!